Thursday 11 July 2019

Old Geelong Gaol (part 7): Thomas Menard – Murderer.

Old Geelong Gaol (part 7): Thomas Menard – Murderer.



Two Warrnambool quarrymen, under the employ of Mr JH Evans, got into an argument over the American Civil War.  It was 1865, and the American civil war between the North and the South had just ended in May. The two workers, James Sweeney, and US-born Thomas Menard, known locally as 'Yankee Tom', argued incessantly, almost coming to blows, until the fight was broken up.

 After their shift, the men returned to their lodgings. Menard was heard telling his bunkmates that the day's argument wasn’t over, and there would be worse to come. That night, as all the men lay in their beds in the shared bunkhouse, Menard arose and unloaded a six-shot revolver into Sweeney’s bunk.[1]

 Menard hastily escaped as the men panicked. He was later arrested near Beechworth.[2]
Sweeney languished in pain and remained alive after the shooting. He had a flesh wound on his upper abdomen on the left-hand side, another wound between his naval and his ribs on the same side, and one a little higher up where the bullet had gone between his ribs and lodged in his armpit.[3] Sweeney also had a bullet lodged in his arm. He lingered on for two more days in the hospital but eventually died due to a bullet lodged in his liver, dying on June 12 from his wounds.


Thomas Menard was also known by his other alias’ ‘Yankee Tom’ and ‘Thomas Barrett’. He was brought up on remand from Beechworth, via Melbourne for the murder of James Sweeney on June 10th, 1865. Menard was put on trial, with witnesses John Haw stating he had seen the whole event. When questioned, Menard showed no contrition and stated he would do the same again. He was duly convicted of murder and sentenced to death.[4]
 
Thomas Menard was born in Louisiana, USA, emigrating to Australia in 1855. He was described as 28 years of age, five feet five inches tall, with brown hair, grey eyes and a medium build.

 Menard was given ample opportunity to confess his guilt in gaol. At first, he refused counsel from gaol-appointed priests, but the day before his execution changed his mind. [5]  Up until that point though, Menard had repeated that his actions were justified, that Sweeney got what he deserved and that he, would do the same again knowing his own outcome.

 The day before his execution, Menard’s views changed, and he admitted his guilt and sorrow for what he had committed, stating that he knew he deserved what was coming for him. Menard began to pray with the priests.

 A rosebud was given to Menard, of which he requested that it be placed in his coffin and buried with him.
 The hangman entered Menards cell before 10am on 28 October 1865. Menard appeared emotionless and allowed the hangman to go about his business pinioning Menards arms. At 10am, led by the Governor of the Gaol, Menard was led to the gallows. He was paraded in front of the Gaol Governor, Chaplains, Surgeons and Officers, and around 40 members of the public.[6]

  Menard stood on the trap door, over his head a small white cap was placed that partially covered his face. In his hand, he held a prayer he had written. The noose was placed over his head, and Rev Strickland read out a burial service. Menard made no sounds or movements. At the conclusion of Rev. Strickland’s sermon, the hangman lowered the cloth other Menard's face shook his hand and said a few words to him. Menard did not speak but nodded in recognition. The order was given, and the hangman released the lever. Menard dropped to his death, his handwritten note dropping from his hand. He was allowed to hang for 15 minutes before a doctor checked for signs of life.

The letter Menard was holding when he was executed stated (in his spelling):

“I stand this Day of Our Lord before his grace. I knew a man the name of Sweeny.
The first or second day he insulted me on the work. I never spoke. A day or two after I had sivel  word with King, which we settled. Was good friends after. The next morning Sweeny asked me where was I rered, what makes you let the Shelbag say any thing, why don't you strike him. I don't like quarrelling. This time anything Swny told me to do I dun it, and gave him anything he wanted as a neighbor. He commenced growling, I then went to another place; the foreman called me down to help him. I dun so. Swny came over and turned back sayd Yankee, I will kick your— I do not allow Irish to kick. Do it. He got in vilant rage, going to strike. I stoped him. I looked at him, sayd I will give you a cause. I will have, them arms of yours when I go home. If you do you will never harm no more. This saild his death. Have I dan wright or evil. God forgive me. Was he (illegible) Duck Yafrican he wd never be shot. That he was Irish he cryd for mercy. I could give no quarters knowing his wrongs. His mate grond fearfull. Could give no assistance with his life lost. I can't say I am sorry. God forgive me. With you all I lave the old world its troubles blesd. I go along to the new one. Farewell, I do not wish to say any more. The secrets of my heart go to the grave with me."
 THOMAS MENARD.

Thomas Menard was interred in the Geelong Gaol grounds with the letter, he had written and the rosebud he had been given inside his coffin.
A death mask was made of Thomas Menard which is on display in the gaol.

Researched and written by Allen Tiller © 2019






[1] 'INCIDENTS OF THE MONTH.', Geelong Advertiser, (25 October 1865), p. 2.
[2] 'INCIDENTS OF THE MONTH.', Geelong Advertiser, (25 October 1865), p. 2.
[3] 'THE LATE MURDER IN THE WESTERN DISTRICT.', The Australasian, (12 August 1865), p. 7.
[4] 'VICTORIA.', Launceston Examiner, (19 October 1865), p. 3.
[5] 'EXECUTION OF MENARD AT THE GEELONG GAOL.', Border Watch, (11 November 1865), p. 1.
[6] 'EXECUTION OF THOMAS MENARD, ALIAS YANKEE TOM.', The Australian News for Home Readers, (25 November 1865), p. 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment